Monday, December 7, 2009

Returning to Bangkok


"Let my heart be broken with the things that break God's heart" -- Bob Pierce, World Vision founder

It's really hard to believe its been 5 months since I was in beautiful Thailand. It seems like just yesterday I was walking Soi 4, eating exotic fruits, drinking Thai tea, and hanging out with a group of women the world has forgotten. As many of you know, I'm not a big writer, and I'm not big on "emotion" or "feelings", but this trip was a major turning point in my life.

It was the first time God completely yanked me out of my comfort zone and showed me about the spoiled brand of Christianity I've practiced for my whole life. Yeah, I knew Jesus, I knew He loved me, I knew He died for me, but I've always been quick to forget that love goes past me, and is an unconditional love for ALL people.

I returned to the states with a new perspective. I was more committed than ever to being a voice for these women I spent my days with, who are exploited time after time, in countless ways. I was less concerned with following a set of legalistic rules that I grew up believing would bring me closer to Jesus, and became more concerned with seeking His heart.



When the opportunity for me to return in December was put in front of me, it seemed obvious to me that returning would be the right decision to make. Yet again, God provided financially, and I'm thrilled to say I'll be returning to Thailand on Sunday. This time, we are taking a team of 12. We have a diverse group of people, coming from all walks of life. We have parents, grandparents, a high school student, college students, those who have never been out of the country before, those who are seasoned travelers, but we are united by one common purpose. We want to live Jesus to these women who have been forgotten by their society, and by the world. We want to, even if for only a day, honor them and let them know they are valued, they are loved, and they are worthy.

I won't be blogging while I'm in Thailand this time, our time will be too short. There will be blogs, hopefully daily, on the Freedom 4/24 website. You can find them at http://www.freedom424.org/blog

Please keep us in your prayers. It's going to be a draining week, both emotionally and physically. We're excited to serve, but we know wherever God's people are working, Satan will most certainly be trying to cause division and defeat. Here are some specific ways you can pray for us in the coming days.

Pray our flights will run smoothly and without delays or complications.
Pray for an easy transition into a new time zone. Bangkok is 12 hours ahead of Lynchburg.
Pray for our team members who are moms. They are having a hard time with leaving their children behind for a week.
Pray for a unified heart, mind, and mission for our team.
Pray for good health for all our team members.
Pray those of us who will be going into the bars will be able to "save face" and be effective in our ministry.
Pray for open, receptive hearts for the women we will be sharing with.
Pray for saftey throughout the trip.

Thanks so much for your prayers! I'm excited to return with stories of what God has done.

In His Freedom,

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment